Tuesday 11 June 2013

Altain Orgil - Ruf Der Steppe




This amazing tape is one of many sent to me by Joachim from Heidelberg.  Joachim has very kindly donated a real treasure trove of music from around the world to Snap, Crackle and Pop and we should all be grateful as there will now be some really strange and wonderful music posted here over the coming months.
Altain Orgil are a Mongolian group who were (and maybe still are) based in Germany in the mid '90s.  This cassette is from 1994.

Joachim has this to say about Altain Orgil:

"I met this group in the city centre of Heidelberg in 1994. They were playing their instruments and doing the extraordinary throat singing which is typical for mongolian and other inner-asian tribes. I heard throat singing before on the radio but it is a completely extraordinary feeling standing among musicians who do it. The sound penetrates your body and makes it vibrate in a peculiar way. The musicians also let me touch their instruments like the horse-headed Morin Khuur, which sounds a bit like a cello, or the lute Tobshuur."

This is really quite magical music and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I am.

Get it HERE.

8 comments:

icastico said...

One of my new favorites. Lovely.

David said...

Oh what a delight - I look forward to more treasures from this source. Always open to the strange & new!

thank you - both of you!

burntoutsavannahs said...

did you rip this cassette yrself amigo?

Anonymous said...

I am totally responsible for any ripping activities that May have taken place. The separation of the different songs are approximations and May not match up with the actual titles. Do I need to be making any other excuses or apologies?
X Mr. Tear

Anonymous said...

another great window on the world sir. expect this to crop up in your dreams. J

Holly said...

This is super, Mr. Tear - thank you very much.

Mr Tear said...

I'm glad you're all enjoying this wonderful music. Thanks again to Joachim for switching us on.

roberth said...

packupload seems to be gone
can you re up on adrive?
thankx again
for all the sounds
robert